From: rainbowmeadowsranch@xxxxxxxxx
To: rhndlev@xxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Paintballing dogs
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:38:44 -0600

With all this talk about paintballing dogs and other interventions, I have not seen a recent discussion about teaching your horse to charge or attack the dog.

I have always trained my horses to turn towards the attacking/barking dog and with my BIG voice, we have successfully intimidated the animals.  I will even back my horse from the area, but not "turn and leave" as long as the dog is on the offensive.

We just took in 3 Mustangs (into our rescue) and for the first time I have horses here who will attempt to kill or injure my dogs.  My other horses would chase, and play-strike, but there was a lessened level of intention compared to these animals.

I'm pretty certain, baring a rider getting in the way (poor balance, yanking on the reins), that any of these 3 small (under 14h) horses could kill just about any dog which chose to approach.

PS - yes, my ranch dogs have had to learn to stay out of the 2 pastures the Mustang's currently inhabit.......

Karen Everhart MEd
Co-founder and Executive Director
Rainbow Meadows Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
Serving the equine companions who have so loyally served us...
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com
620-725-3402

Owner/Operator Horse Calls - Equine Management Solutions
Centered Riding Instructor
Distance Horse Conditioning and Training
www.horsecalls.com
316-648-5082