[RC] FW: ice and winter riding - catherine demick

On Dec 11, 2007, at 3:47 PM, catherine demick wrote:

I'm usually a lurker here, but I have been interested in reading questions about winter riding from around the U.S. Here in the North Western part of Massachusetts on the Vt. and N.Y. border in the Berkshires we have it all! Every winter! Snow shoes are a necessity if you are gong to do any serious riding on dirt roads which we are often stuck with when we can't get into the woods or fields because the snow is too deep or the snow plows have plowed 20 ft. banks. Barefoot works great if the snow is deep enough (3-6inches) and soft or hard-packed. Some people spray cooking spray like Pam or  spread Vaseline on the bottom of the bare feet or use Easy boots with winter studs. If there is ice like the last couple of days you are stuck in the house looking out at the hairy ponies stuck on their "poop" ice island!! We still have 3 inch icicles hanging off the grill on the deck, the electric tape and the wood pile, and you could skate in the upper horse pasture! Ice is the worst but riding in snow is the best!!

Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play Chicktionary! Check it out!

Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Get it now!