[RC] how about handwalking for exercise? - Betsy Thomas

The other day it was rainy and I didn't want to get my friend's saddle wet. Mine still hasn't come in the mail yet. I figured I needed the exercise too so I took Pony Puff out for a long handwalk. We went 6 miles together.

It was great for bonding (she is new and we're definitely still getting to know each other) and good exercise for me, but what about for her? Before I got her, I used to hike all the time for exercise. But somehow since becoming a horse owner I find I never have the time. I've *lost* 5 pounds since getting her, too-- I think I don't have time to eat, either. My sleeping has been horrible and I've been grumpy because I need the workouts. My knee can't handle jogging or else I'd make her trot more. We're going to have to walk or ride. My knee is fine for hills if I'm careful. In theory she's been trained to pack, so if I ever want to get really serious about Horse-Hiking I could get her a pack-saddle to add weight.

Oh, since I asked about her diet and weight last week, I looked at pictures of her that I took when I first got her in mid-October. She's definitely slimmed down and toned up. A friend of mine recently commented on it, too. I guess when I was looking at her every day I hadn't noticed how much her shape was changing. Taped her yesterday at 867 pounds (she was 880 two weeks ago.) Is this too rapid a weight loss? She is a 14 hand (maybe less?) mustang mare. I am guessing she was around 900 when I got her and the vet said she was "moderately overweight". The vet is coming out this week to float her teeth so I'll certainly ask him again about her condition. She looks pretty good to me right now, weight-wise. Maybe a hair on the fat side, like a "6" on the scale.

I think she was wasting a lot of her hay in the mud once it started raining, but she just got moved to a barn so maybe the weight loss will slow down. The paddock where she had been living was nice and big but turned into a total mud pit once the rain started. So now she's in the barn with the froo-froo dressage warmbloods and TBs. It makes me want to giggle. I will enjoy not having to wear my dairy boots though.

Betsy