[RC] lunging - Donna DeYoung

Original message:>>>Does anyone use lunging as a means of keeping their
horses conditioned when they can't ride as much as they'd like to (for
whatever reason ie: weather, time factors, too many horses to ride at one
time, etc.)? <<<

<<<<The only time I lunge my horse, is to check for soundness, or at NATRC rides
where we lunge for the vet. I NEVER lunge to let them *buck and play, and
never lunge to exercise them. Very hard on the legs in my opinion. (but not
the opinion of others, I'm sure)>>>>>

I never let my horses buck and play on the lunge. They are learning manners on the lunge. Its as if I'm riding, but I'm not. (ie, things I don't like when I ride I try to discourage when I'm lunging. things I want when I ride, I encourage when I'm lunging).

As part of an endurance conditioning program, I have used lunging when I didn't feel like riding. I think it's good for the horse to have a work out without the rider's weight. Use larger circles and a practical surface and length of time if you are worried about their legs.

They can learn so many things (good) on the lunge - such as voice commands, jumping obstacles, going out and away, coming in and staying, etc etc. It's great for cardiovascular workouts, too. Lunging is not done for the same amount of time as riding, because of the circling, that does put more stress on the joints. But it can be more intense for short periods. It can also be "relaxing" to put the horse out there for some trotting over obstacles, trotting around different areas of the pasture/arena, and just letting him work those muscles for awhile without the burden of balancing the rider on his back, and then letting him bond w/ you on the ground at the end. And putting him up, at least you've given him a workout than none at all.

Donna DeYoung
Andalusian Horse Trainer & Breeder