Re: [RC] Conditioning horses by Lunging - Ibiteraaarr

I don't know about lunging for condition, but when I do schooling rides with Loki where we just work in the ring, I do lots of circles with him in different directions, different sizes and at different gaits to build up his hindquarters. A dressage instructor told me to use small overlapping circles within the work out to really strengthen the back end since whatever direction your moving in puts the most work on the hind leg on the opposite side. She also uses that to initially evaluate animals she was training for clients. I was surprised how many of the horses she was working would have trouble holding a canter in circle, including a giant heavily muscled QH mare. Guess all that bulk was just for show.