RE: [RC] Need quick advice... - Rae

I've also sent my horses off to a fellow who specializes in "30 day
turnovers," and he says a lot of people seem to think that means a fully
finished horse.  He puts on the basics - mounting, dismounting, right left,
walk, trot, canter and whoa.  What I get back is a horse I can start
training, with all the initial "I'm being ridden!!" goobers out of their
system.  That said, I've had two geldings that took longer than 30 days.
One, he said he needed another month and at the end of that month, he still
wouldn't let me ride the horse.  This gelding was too unpredictable and the
trainer's suggestion was to give up and take him to an auction and cut my
losses.  I threw the gelding back into the pasture for a couple more years
to let him grow up mentally and then we tried again last year and he's doing
VERY well.
   With the other gelding, we got hit with rain for 18 of his 30 days
(trainer has an outdoor arena), then the gelding got sick, so I had to take
him home until he got well, then back to the trainer.  There were a lot of
interruptions with the training, so it took him 3 months to finally get his
"30 days."  He was still green, as I expected, and after several months of
more training (trail riding, arena lessons, etc) he's gone on to become a
steady 100 miler who recently passed his 1,000 mile mark.
  I'd definitely talk to the trainer.  Find out what her evaluation is of
your boy.  Some horses just mentally have a difficult time grasping that
it's time to work.  It doesn't mean that they're bad, or that the trainer is
bad, just that this particular horse needs more time.

Rae
Tall C Arabians - Central Region
Photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/niepe