Re: [RC] switching feeds, was using Platform Senior - Kari Hanes

Mel,
We switched over to Nutrena for similar reasons a few years ago. We use Safechoice as a base for all and mix for the ones that need it. The endurance bunch get Safechoice, Empower and a few other suppliments; the older horses get Safechoice and Senior in equal amounts; broodmares get Safechoice and suppliments; youngsters get Safechoice. Amounts vary by horse but we have had great success with Nutrena in our program. We have one broodmare that was colicky a few times a year and since we've switched she hasn't done it again in almost three years now. She is on Safechoice with a shot of vegetable oil daily. Don't be afraid to contact a Nutrena rep to answer your questions if the feed mill employees can't help, they have always responded within a day when I had questions. I would suggest - and you probably already know this - that you gradually switch the feed over.

Kari
Montalee Arabians
Holton, MI

Mel Cochran wrote:

I am breaking up with Tractor Supply Company. I have been feeding all 4 of my horses Platform Senior for a year. Recently, my TSC store has been having problems keeping the feed in stock. I went a week and a half without feed and had to improvise.

I found a local feed store that is conveniently located to my work. They carry Nutrena and FRM feeds. I told them about my horses and they recommended the following feeds. I was wondering if any of you guys use any of these feeds and the pros/cons of them. I have a 4 year old that I am doing LD with, a 3 year old that will be in training soon, a 19 year old broodmare candidate and a 24 year old retiree. I usually cut their grain out entirely during the spring and summer. I plan to continure the grain on my two yound horses as they will be ridden regularly. The 19 year old broomare will also stay on grain if she is bred.

Here are my choices, is there one that would work for all of them? Should I just bite the bullet and feed different kinds that better matches the individual horses? I have always liked the senior feeds for all of them. I wonder if my harder workers could use more specialized feed?

FRM - Endurance Gold
FRM-Oldtimers

Nutrena-Happy Horse
Nutrena-XTM