RE: [RC] limited pasture/horse and hoof health - Rae

I haven't noticed much problem with that.  My pens at home have been nothing
but sand for nearly 30 years now.  I've had 6 horses go from dry lot to
grassy pasture at Ridecamp many times and we've never had a problem.  I use
the electric corral and make a pen that's about 15 X 20 and will put up to 3
of them in there (they have a history of getting along, if not, I will put
dividers in the pen to separate them).  I don't move the pen over the
weekend, so I guess the amount of grass they get in that small area is not
enough to hurt them.  I even have one mare that is in LOVE with food and
anything rich immediately gives her gas colic.  She gets separated from the
rest for grain/beet pulp as she cannot have beet pulp and would inhale hers
and theirs if I wasn't careful (then she would colic).  The dry lot to grass
switch doesn't affect her either.  I would think, that unless you're turning
your horse out on a very large, grassy pasture for 36 hours, it shouldn't be
a problem.

Rae

Tall C Arabians - Central

 _____