[RC] limited pasture - Nikki McCormack

I think it is generally best to do what works for your horses.  I have found that, here in the Pacific Northwest where mud is a real issue, it is a huge benefit to bring my horses in at night and clean their feet so they can dry out.  My farrier has commented that my horses have some of the best feet he has seen in winter around here and I really believe it is because they get a chance to dry out at night without a pack of sopping mud in them.

The other benefits I have found is that I find injuries very quickly and I can closely regulate their diet.  In fact, I bring them in at night year round so that, even when pasture is available, they are still eating a very steady diet year round that is the same as what I would be feeding at a ride.

In the summer, when they have access to the big pasture, I do not have any tracks, but I see them running laps around the pasture all the time even without tracks.  Maybe they are just weird, but they don't seem to need a track to get much exercise out there.  :)

Nikki
AERC M33800 / PNER 3782 / NSS 44146