[RC] A couple more things to keep age at bay - Kathleen

I came back from an endurance lay off (for all the typical reasons…kids, $$, career) about 5 years ago and was shocked at how really out of riding shape I had gotten.  It took quite a lot of good old putting the miles on in conditioning before I began to feel like I was ready to do a ride and then it was an LD and I was sore for days afterwards.  Last summer, however I completed my first 100 and 75 in about 15 years and felt super afterwards.  My two “must do” tricks to being able to endurance into my old age are:

1.        Lift weights and do cardio.  My husband and I joined the gym and have become religious about going at least 5 days a week.  The results since I started lifting weights is phenomenal…my energy levels and strength and endurance are approaching what I remember feeling like 20 years ago and my clothes got so baggy I had to get smaller sizes. (I am about to hit 50).  We realized that morning was the only time we would be able to go without tons of interruptions so we get up at 4:15 am and go to the gym to work out for an hour before work (both have to be at work at 7:30am).  We hit the sack early and sleep like logs since we started this.

2.       See the chiropractor every 2-3 weeks.  I don’t let kinks build up – but stay adjusted all the time and my back, neck and knees have become pain free and flexible (even after being dumped pretty hard a couple times).

I am sure any preventative like massage therapy, yoga etc would help one keep balance and range of motion too.

I just can’t emphasize enough how much the weight lifting helped me out.  Give it a try if you are feeling loss of balance/strength etc.

Kathleen Ferguson

AERC #717

Checked by AVG Free Edition.