[RC] munching on fresh pine needles? - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Despite having ignored the ponderosa pines in their paddocks for the last
seven years, this week I've got two groups of horses independently stripping
the pine needles off the branches of one pine tree each in their respective
paddocks. They are out of sight of each other, so I don't think it's a case
of one horse doing it out of boredom and the others picking up on the idea.

I'm wondering about some nutritional deficiency? Right now they aren't
working much, so are just on straight beardless wheat hay - nice clean hay,
but perhaps lacking something?

Any ideas?

The only good thing is the horses are all very festively fragrant and piney.

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA