RE: [RC] re: managing over 50 - Mary Sutliff

Age does catch up with most of us.  I'm over 60 and still ride, etc. but it sure takes more work to keep going!  I switched to Paso Fino's and that helped a lot but now I'm in the midst of tests to find out if it's my back or hip that causing the main problem.  Just had foot surgery and that's still painful although it doesn't stop my riding.
Looking back over the years I've had some great times -  Hiking, skiing, mountain climbing and of course, riding my wonderful horses.  Wouldn't change anything but I wish my body was what it was at 40 or even 50!
Mary S.

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:54:53 -0800
From: dragnin100@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] re: managing over 50
To: c_collins@xxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Darn Cindy....just go ahead and burst the bubble for us that are sneaking up on 50.
I am already falling apart, and hope that I can hold it together a while longer. But what
you say is true.

Jody

Cindy Collins <c_collins@xxxxxxx> wrote:
As someone who is over 50, here's my advice.  Don't do it!  Don't lift more than 30 lbs, period.  I know that many of you out there will say how you can fling 100 lb sacks of grain over your shoulder every day....etc.  That's great...until you can't and you do other serious damage that causes you to change all of your riding dreams.  Use a cart, use a 4 wheeler, use a neighbor kid.  Don't be macho.  Plus, it's darn expensive to have all of your body parts put back together.  Just think of how many LQ trailers I could have and how many XP rides I could attend for all the money I've spent on surgeries, physical therapy, doctors, medicine, etc.  It's not worth it.  BTW, I suggest Pilates with a really well trained instructor for developing your core strength...however, that does not mean you'll be 25 years old ever again :)

Cindy Collins

Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Power up!