[RC] Waterproof turnout sheets - Julie Fuller

Okay, I'm disgusted again.

Last winter, I had problems with my previously waterproof sheets. Mind you, I have used waterproof sheets for YEARS with no problems, in spite of torrential rain and high winds. But last year after carefully washing and reproofing 7 sheets, NONE of them was waterproof anymore. (I used Nikwax for washing and reproofing) After talking to the blanket manufacturer, and the nikwax people, I got refunded for the nikwax,( not by nikwax, but by Dover, whom I purchased through) and eventually I ended up buying four new sheets, (Weatherbeeta Landa Freestyle) and they were perfectly fine for the remainder of the season.

As usual, when I was finished with them for the season, I washed them with Sportwash (it's specifically for WP fabrics) and put them away. This fall they all got washed again, then reproofed with Waterguard (by the same company as Sportwash (and a product I have always been more than happy with))

Yeah, now I have 4 wet horses, again. *sigh*

Last year I bought a Shires Typhoon Half Combo blanket for the stallion I rescued. He stayed warm and dry all winter with that blanket. Has anyone had a Shires brand blanket for more than a couple years? How has it held up?

I checked the archives and didn't find much. I prefer to let my horses fur up, then use sheets because they fit in the washing machine easier, but now I am thinking perhaps blankets would work better. I don't know. I am at wit's end over this. And I cannot afford to spend $250-350 a piece for the fancy high tech blankets. I can go about $150, and that's pushing it.

I'm thinking I should contact all the blanket companies and offer to be their tester!

Julie