[RC] Struggles of your correspondents - Maryanne Gabbani

I'm sure that for those of you looking out at wet or snowy fields and roads, the life of the Ridecamp correspondents frolicking in Malaysia, Holland, Spain, Patagonia, and Egypt probably looks pretty soft. After all, what do we do? Just go and hang around exotic locations looking at even more exotic horseflesh and then take lots of pictures and write up stories about what happens in these places...right?  Well, you're right but there is more to the story than that. Trying to give a real time coverage to an endurance event is one of the most aggravating things that I've ever tried to do. I thank heaven that I was blessed that day with some crazy clients from south Florida who love taking photographs even though they had never seen an endurance competition and didn't even know much about horses except that they have four legs.  So the fact that Scott Gerard was running around shooting everything in sight gave me the chance to chase down the timers to try to give you all an idea of what was going on. The fact that the front runners were about two loops ahead of the guys finishing in back didn't make things any easier.

But the real fun starts once you realise that somehow all those photos have to make it from a laptop somewhere to a server somewhere else. For the past ten days, Merri in Idaho, John where ever he happens to be, and me in Giza have been trying to work out how to trim down about 2 thousand photos to a reasonable number and then (and this is John's expertise) how to move them through cyberspace to the hallowed halls of endurance.net.  The trail, John, has not been incredibly well-marked. I think that some gremlins have shuffled off with a few dozen pie plates and maybe a few kilos of ribbon. Merri and I have been getting wrinkles and white hair fearing that we have lost pictures when my power gets cut and wondering just what left turn they have taken while the trail is going straight.

Hopefully, it will all work out and the photo galleries will arrive at the finish line sometime soon. I hope so anyway and I hope that you all enjoy them when they do. I tried to select photos that would reflect the unique qualities of the landscape over which the race took place, the wonderful equines who gave so much that day, and the atmosphere of the ride with the participants and the spectators.

Maryanne

--
Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
msgabbani@xxxxxxxxx