Re: [RC] [RC] Long distance hauling - Raven

 Does anyone have any experience with horse trailering over long
distances that they would like to share?  I guess specifically a
couple horses

Hi Kathy...I traveled from WI to CA late summer and back to WI...three
weeks later.  Took four days each way. I was exhausted..but horses did
well. I haul Huginn, 13 yr old ice pony and Dixie, 13 yr old mini
mare. My trailer is a 2 horse BP, completely insulated with drop down
windows at the head, with bus windows on the butt side, roof vents and
anti-sway weight distribution bars.

The daily routine was get up; feed the ponies/dogs, load up and drive
for 3-4 hours, stop for a meal (late brekkie/early lunch) and then
drive the rest of the day. We were usually on the road by 6 am and at
the overnight barn by 7-8pm. Long days...for me...12-14 hours of
driving is my max, after that, I start to fight sleep and get shaky.

We stopped about every three hours for human/dog potty breaks and fuel
stops. This gave the ponies 15-20 minute breaks. On the way down to
CA...I offered water at stops...but they were not interested (more
later). I had hay bags hanging in the trailer for both ponies. Huginn
ate his hay...but Dixie was not interested.  I also offered
apples/carrots during stops...just to check on their appetites.  Both
were tied long.   We did not unload during the day, but we did stop
every night at overnight boarding barns.  The facilities ranged from a
HUGE covered outdoor arena to stalls with runs. I was happy with all
the horse facilities and the ponies loved getting out of the trailer
to roll, lay down and walk around. Oh...we traveled with the drop down
windows...down, all bus windows and vents opened.

On the way back to WI...basically the same thing. But..this time I
left Dixie loose cuz on the first day ...she pulled back on her halter
and scratched her eye. And I left hay on the floor for her and also
hung water buckets for both ponies.  I really don't think they drank
out of those buckets.

I think that the overnight barns really helped to prevent my ponies
from getting exhausted.   I also know for a fact that having a
completely insulated trailer helped keep my ponies cool while driving
through the Needles area. It was 115 when we drove through. Yikes!

The one thing that I loved...was using Horse Quecher!!   WOW...does
that stuff work great! The first day down to CA...my horses did not
drink during the day.  That night I made a batch of HQ water, offered
that...next to a bucket of normal (non flavor) water. As soon as I set
the HQ bucket down...both ponies were sucking it down!   It's a great
product. For the rest of the trip..I offered HQ water during the
stops.  I kept their feed the same as home, but I did add a bit more
salt.  I think the important thing is that you need to know what is
normal for your horse and just watch for signs of distress. Also..take
care of yourself !! Drink LOTS of water, eat right and get sleep.

Raven
Lucy & Molly, the Girl Doggies
Huginn & Dixie Chick, the Back Behind the Barn Ponies
Maggie Rose, the cat who makes me sneeze

Respect ALL Earthlings. We are all animals of this planet. We are all creatures.