Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.5506 girth rubs - Chipnml

In a message dated 11/25/2007 2:12:55 P.M. Central Standard Time, ridecamp-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
most of the time I've had only minor girth =
rubs.
That should have been your first indication.  What's "mild" on a 25 mile ride will usually turn to extreme on a 50 miler.  I couldn't use anything synthetic on Cheers or he would blister, so I used woolback pads and girths for many many years with no problems.

I do admit, I'm having some girth issues with Dezi right now.  I use a mohair girth, but he gets girth sore (no rubs, but sometimes the area swells and is hyper-sensitive the next day).  I've been able to alleviate the problem using tons of Body Glide, but will be hunting for the perfect girth over this winter.  I can't use my woolback girths since the American-Flex saddle I use cannot have an elastic girth.  Someone suggested trying a biothane girth, and I'm also thinking of having one of my old woolbacks altered to a non-elastic dressage-length.

Chip