Re: [RC] Girth Soreness - Don Huston

Hello Peggy,
I just got back from the Tejon Ranch 50 that was last Sat. What a beautiful place to ride. Since your horse's soreness in the girth area cleared up so quickly I am guessing the problem was just the steepness of those Tejon hills. Maybe the extra pressure and pulling behind the elbows on those steep downhills was more than your horse was used to and made her sore? I saw many horses taking very short "baby steps" walking those steep downhills which indicated to me that they were not happy about it including mine but he had no soreness. A crupper might help. Of course the best solution on those really steep downhills is to get off and walk since the horse can't go fast anyway and lord knows I need the exercise :'(. I have used a Professionals Choice elastic girth like this http://www.profchoice.com/htmldocs/prd/english/prd/dg.html for 8 years now (I have 4 of them) and have had no girth issues on 2 horses. I don't think you need a different girth since on all the other rides she was just fine.

Don Huston