Re: [RC] Farriers - Kathy Mayeda

"A farrier straight out of school is running on what they have learned in the weeks that they spent there.   A farrier IMO needs to have many hooves of experience behind them to successfully shoe a distance horse.  Yes, they are not going to do somethings by the book...but there is probably a good reason for it.

Jody"

One of my newby  former farriers had my horse balanced just fine for a couple of shoeings, but he started deeply dubbing the toe and letting the heel grow out to be a more "natural balance" style shoeing.  My horse plain did not do well with that method, and I told him so.  Then he blamed my horses conformation.   I asked him not to do it that way again, he ignored me, and my horse could barely walk afterwards.  I've heard other people telling me that he we replace a shoe at a ride using the same method, which of course does not match the other three hooves.  I've heard of another person who's horse had to have his hooves resected afterwards.... my horse shouldn't be the victim of a new farrier trying out ideas that fits a formula that doesn't work for that horse.  And if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

"PS.  Keep your tools....sounds like your going to need them. :)"

Sad but true.  I'm not fond of trimming hooves, but I dislike firing farriers all the time too.
K.