RE: [RC] What more? (was: mariposa part 3) - heidi

Actually, the AERC didn't do ANYTHING in this unfortunate fracas.

The AERC did:
1) Sanction the ride, assuring that there was veterinary supervision.
2) Provide rules, including qualifications for that veterinary supervision.
3) Assure that the horse was vet checked on the course (see #2).
4) Have a director present, who did assess the situation and talk with the
rider.
5) Along with ride management, provide an organized framework in which the
incident was reported to management and the horse received help.

Could the AERC director himself have filed a protest?  Sure.  But remember that
the first means of handling ANY incident or dispute (that is, if the RM can't
resolve it) is to see if one of thes AERC director can handle it without a
protest being filed.  He was present in person, he felt that the situation was
adequately handled, and I respect his decision.  It is my understanding that he
also helped to break up the fight that ensued when another rider attacked the
rider whose horse had been treated.

I repeat, if the director on the scene felt that the message had gotten across
to the rider, what additional good would a letter of censure or a temporary ban
from riding have accomplished?  The incident was well-documented and the
director reported to the Board about it.

Rather than spending so much time trying to pass judgment on how there should
have been punitive measures meted out to the rider, I would submit that we
would be better off analyzing what led to this unfortunate incident, which
stemmed from rider ignorance.  Would a mandatory novice briefing have helped?
But keep in mind that it is virtually impossible to legislate against
stupidity, no matter HOW many safeguards you put in place.

Heidi