Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] [RC] Mariposa/Suffering The Sport - Dawn Carrie

Of course...and this makes perfect sense...and is how Rule 14 has been written in th east.  What I have a problem with is the new rule, with a successful protester being "charged" $50 just to have filed the protest...if they win, they *still* are charged the $50.

As I said in my previous post, this isn't going to be a significant source of revenue, so one must discount that as an answer for why AERC would not refund ALL of the protest fee under the revised Rule 14.  The only other answer left is that proposed by Kat...that AERC would prefer fewer (or no) protests to be filed, and thus intends to penalize even successful protesters.  The potential loss of $50 would probalby not deter most riders who were personally wronged at a ride and wanted to get that set right.  But I have a feeling it would deter many from filing a protest in which they had no personal stake - such as filing against the Mariposa rider for horse abuse.  I would like for someone from AERC to explain the reason for keeping the $50.

Dawn Carrie, Texas

Protest filing fees are not supposed to be source of revenue--they are supposed to discourage frivolous filing.  Example--if John Doe wins the ride, and I can get him DQ'd on some alleged infraction, then my second place will become a win, and I get more points.  Or, my horse is running neck and neck with his for a mileage championship, and maybe I can get him DQ'd and take the lead.  That sort of thing...  Having to put at least SOME money up front helps to deter this sort of practice by requiring up-front money that you will forfeit if you lose your protest.