[RC] Grays - Peggy B-Smith

I was given a 1949 Arabian stud book and I noticed that in most cases it listed the grays as Ch/G or B/G.  I'm assuming this means they were born chestnut or bay and then grayed. Some were just listed as G.  Are any grays actually born gray, or are they all born another color and turn gray?

I would like to know what color my flea-bit gray mare was born before she "turned."

Peggy Bergman-Smith