From: kathy.mayeda@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: kiransunny13@xxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Looking for rope trail/endurance headstall and bridle combo - any ideas?
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 00:15:05 -0800

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 7:47 AM

Dear all,

I figured with all the experiences out there, someone might have an idea for me.

The horse I have competed on the past 4 years (all CTRs) is one that gets rather aggravated having things on his head. He will tolerate everything, but it's not uncommon for him to rub his head intensely on whatever is nearby - his legs, a tree, his buddy... This becomes especially true when he is in his trail/endurance headstall and bridle combo that I compete him in. It is a Zilco headstall, and it just seems to drive him nuts - not to mention whenever he starts to work up a bit of a sweat underneath it! (FYI, fit does not appear to be an issue - it is just snug enough to keep everything laying where it should but loose enough to easily run a hand underneath).

However, he is much more content in his rope halter - I'm guessing partially because there is less material touching his face, and the material itself is of much softer (and less heat/moisture trapping) quality than the Zilco. In fact, in speaking with the individual who actually bred this horse, I found out that his dad was similarly annoyed by having stuff on his face, and she had remedied the issue by moving to a 100% rope halter/bridle combo.

So, that I what I would like to try. However, I have done some internet searches and have not been successful in finding what I am looking for. I am aware of the "add-on" bridles out there that are made to go on over a rope halter, but those that I have seen are in biothane, which would likely have the same effect as the Zilco. In addition, I would like a trail/endurance headstall and bridle combo ( i.e. with the bit either clipping on or running over the pole, like my current Zilco setup), but made entirely out of rope.

Does anyone out there know of where I might be able to find one of these? If so, I'd love to hear where!

If you want to e-mail me privately, feel free to do so at "KiraNSunny13 AT gmail DOT com"

Thanks!

Kira Everhart-Valentin