Re: [RC] [RC] LD brakes on! (Carla) - Dodie Sable

I guess the point I was trying to make here is that in a CTR you have less time to do the same mileage (25 miles is 4 hr 10 min) without more than a 20 minute hold.

So, if you are taking a full 5 hr and 10 min (6 hours less a 50 minute hold) to do an LD, and if another hold was added you couldn't make it, then you'd want to start riding smarter.  The smarter comes with experience.

I understand your concerns on less time to ride ... I did a 30 mile once that had two 50 minute holds and horses were burning up in that ride.  The pull ratio was 38% and of the ones that completed, 25% were over time.

Dodie

Carla Richardson <richardson.carla@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Neither of my horses walk that fast.  At a walk I average about 4 to 4.5 mph.  So I trot an LD, like just about everyone else I see on the trail.  They do have fast trots (both are Arabians).  The LD's I've done, I have taken pretty much the entire time allotted.

I do try to ride smart, that's why I don't rush my horse.  If I have a 30 min. vet check and hold (lunch) on a 25 mile, I'm fine!  If you increase the number of checks and take away an hour and a half (for example) then I'd really be rushed to finish on time.  I'd more than likely be OT.

Carla Richardson
Colorado