Re: [RC] Santa Fe vs Bryce - Barbara McCrary

Having been a sanctioning director for the W region for many years (when I was on the board), I found it difficult to spread rides out so that some ride managers weren't miffed because they couldn't have a date for their ride that didn't have another ride taking place 3 weeks of either side of theirs.  There are so many rides now, more even than when I was sanctioning, that it is impossible not to have conflict.  The only way to allow some ride or other its own space is to refuse to allow other folks to offer rides.  There are too many rides for the allowable riding season, based on weather conditions.  It doesn't seem fair to tell enthusiastic ride managers that they may not put on their ride because someone else has taken that date.  So, we allow rides to take place outside of a certain distance from one another, and it's up to the riders to make their choices.  Sorry, but that seems to be the way it works out.

Barbara

----- Original Message -----
From: Susan
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 6:04 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Santa Fe vs Bryce

I still don't understand why the choice can't be to go or not to go to a ride.  Why does our "choice" have to be WHICH multi day to attend?  If this is the only time SF can happen, so be it.  But, let's not put a spin on it like "this is so wonderful to have all these choices!"

Laura Hayes <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It appears that the Bryce ride had18 more entries in 2007 when it was run at the same time as Santa Fe as it did in 2006, before Santa Fe even existed.

I, for one, am glad that we have so many choices within the AERC!

Laura

Semper Obliquo (Always aside),
Susan Young, The Princess of Pink
Your Independent Mary Kay Beauty Consultant
Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.
"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)