[RC] 25 mile rides vs 50 mile rides - sherman

I often see horses starting to drag a bit after the 25-30 mile lunch break. And they weren’t going fast beforehand either. That’s why I thought the additional stress level to reach 50 miles determined 50 miles to be the minimum “endurance” distance for horses. I’m quite sure I can also take any of my unconditioned horses for a 25 mile ride without any issues. Well, except for 6 yr old, 13.2.5H tubby Paloma who has never been fit for 25 miles yet, but maybe this year she’ll get there.

Kathy

Here is my take on this issue, and it is based on experience. Most horses, conditioned or not, if ridden not too fast and hard, can do 25 miles. That can't be said for 50 miles, and my experience shows the breaking point is at about 35 miles. After 35 miles, it becomes "work". I rode a running-type QH in the early 70s, and he was just great until 35 miles. After that it was hard work for him and for me, even when he WAS conditioned. Furthermore, I rode a different QH of running type (meaning lighter build and less massive muscle) for 45 miles of a 50 in days when the vets weren't sure of the limiting factors. He was passed through the "lunch" VC with symptoms of fatigue that vets absolutely wouldn't allow nowadays. It took me 12 hours to do 45 miles, and there were indicators that I would be horrified to see now that I know better. This was my very first 50 mile ride and I had no one, or no organization to educate me. Naturally, I was so overtime that my husband came along and picked us up on the trail. I was so disappointed about our failure. But I certainly learned a lot that day.

Barbara