[RC] New Nicknames - Bruce Weary DC

   Carla wrote:
     "You can't win for losing.  When I do a 50, I'm called a horse crippler and when I do a 25, I'm called trail trash.  Let's find some positive nicknames for each other and just enjoy each day we take another breath with our horses."

  Okay, I have a suggestion. Since endurance riding is challenging enough to be a lifetime's avocation, with plenty of learning to do right up to the last moment we spend in the saddle, how about this classification system:  1) LD riders, no matter who they are, will be considered to be "Kindergartners." They don't have to get up early, they learn some simple organizational skills, but they basically get to play for half a day, and have a snack and a nap somewhere along the way. This is tempting to all of us from time to time. Some of us may never leave Kindergarten, and others of us will need to return to it from time to time just to keep our perspective. Don't we all remember Kindergarten with some special memories? There's even a book titled "All I Need To Know, I Learned In Kindergarten." It's a good book that all adults should read.  2) 50 milers will be known as First Graders. They need be only slightly more experienced than successful Kindergartners, they have to get up early and they can usually expect to be present for a full day, as opposed to the half day of Kindergartners. They have more responsibility, and should know more about playing well with others.They can wear their "Big Boy/Big Girl" pants, because they have fewer accidents. They will have a little more work ethic, and while there is more work, there is usually more satisfaction to be had in 1st grade. I know. I spent three years there. It represents some of my best work.  3) And, all 100 mile riders will be known as 2nd Graders. They sit a little taller in the saddle, and most of the Kindergartners and 1st Graders tend to look up to them, and daydream about what it would be like to be in 2nd Grade. They are more tired at the end of their day, but more developed because of their increased efforts.They truly begin to feel like big boys and girls. I remember I was the tallest boy in 2nd grade. I was so proud. And I was only 14. Oh, and 2nd graders still realize the highlight of the day is recess.
    With this system, no one would take themselves too seriously. There would be no high school or collegiate levels, reminding us that even with plenty of years and thousands of miles, we are all still learning, and will never graduate. Julie Suhr tells me she still gets as excited as a 12 year old girl when she gets a new horse, and that she still feels like a beginner at times. That's good enough for me.
   Last one out on the playground is a rotten egg.       Dr Q