RE: [RC] Trail trash tirade, with apologies - Juli Jakub

I am a total newbie. I plan on doing my first LD or CTR this spring/early
summer. But I have to agree that I have had nothing but help from people who
know so much more than me that they could very well ignore me. But everyone is
answering my questions, being supportive, and helping me get my horses ready.
The amount of support I have gotten from complete strangers is overwhelming in
fact...much more than I ever got in my years of high level eventing and
showing. No one has looked down at me because I have not yet rode a mile of
sanctioned trail...just conditioning at home! I do not post often and I have
not been on ridecamp that long compared to others but we keep bashing this same
issue over and over and being unkind to each other. I think that LD's are
fine...they are not endurance...they are an introduction to endurance...but if
that is all your horse can do or you can do or it is all you want to do it is a
great way to still participate. If my young mare can only do 25 milers I will
be happy.I want to do the longer distances, but she is my best friend and if
that is all she can do I will be happy to do them. That is me and that is okay.
Someone else may feel differently and I certainly am not going to be mean to
them because they have a different opinion. Let us discuss this respectfully
and kindly if it must be discussed. Bashing each other solves nothing. I do not
feel disrespected because I plan on starting in limited distance and if someone
does make me feel like that...well..I'll shrug it off as one persons opinion
and I am not going to worry about it at all! I am just going to go out there
and have fun with my horse. JMHO from someone who probably does not know enough
to have an opinion.
Juli

Juli Jakub
The Air of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.
~ arabian proverb

________________________________

Trail Trash Kathy Copeland, who never rides anything except L D’s is one of
the most knowledgeable horsewomen I know. Why? Because that is her choice.
In spite of her lesser mileage, she is very highly respected. Trail Trash
Barbara White, with 28 Tevis Cup buckles in a drawer someplace, rode an L D
last weekend and is  going on another LD in two weeks. Why?  She doesn’t have
a higher mileage horse at the moment and she loves the LD rides. I find it
interesting that Trail Trash John Crandell, who is probably one of the best
riders our sport has ever produced, did not feel demeaned by riding L Ds each
of the last few years which are the years when he was also winning Tevis, Old
Dominion and a National Championship. Trail Trash Becky Hart, three time
World champion endurance rider, was actually seen on an LD ride a few years
ago.  As was Valerie Kanavy, two time World Champion, so I guess that makes
her Trail Trash.

I know all these people personally.  I do not think there is a snobbish, “I
am better than you because I've ridden further” bone in their collective
bodies.

I heard a good quote the other day I really like. I do not know the origin.
“Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass.  It is about learning to
dance in the rain.”  We need more dancers.

See what's new at http://www.aol.com