[RC] Rule Change Proposal, version 2 - Beth Walker

I've added a couple of rules, based on suggestions from other folks, and modified others. ?Some folks disagree with rule #1. ?I haven't changed it, as I haven't gotten any feedback on what would be a good minimum. ?I set these based on times which could reasonably put somebody in mid-pack, or even the top third.

I bolded the last part of the proposal - mostly because I expected more screams. ?:) ?Just wanted to be sure y'all saw this. ?I also changed it so that, if you did 2 LDs and 1 50 as a Novice, that would fulfill the LD novice requirement, but not the 50 novice requirement.

Rules from #4 on were suggested by others. ?I've included them so that I can get feedback. ?In some cases, I changed "non-member" to "novice rider". ?:)

---------------------------

Proposal:? Initiate a new ride category - Novice Rider - applicable at any distance.? This category would apply to any rider who has not completed 3 rides at the distance (or greater) that they are proposing to ride.

Logistics: ?
?? 1. ?Determining a "novice rider" is based on information entered by the rider on the ride entry form.
?? 2. ?Ride Managers can verify the information against AERC records when possible. ?Misrepresentation is grounds for disqualification. ?(Need that in the rules?)
?? 3. ?This rule applies to Day Members as well as AERC members.

Rules for this category:

?? 1.? Novice riders are subject to a minimum time of completion.? Completing the ride in under the minimum time will result in a disqualification.??Minimum times can be calculated for rides with distances other than those stated. ?Minimum times are:
25 miles:?? ? ?4 hours
50 miles:?? ? ?8 hours
75 miles:?? ?12 hours
100 miles:? 16 hours

?? 2.? Novice riders are subject to an exit CRI from each vet check, and the post-ride check. ?Criteria for the exit CRI for the Novice Division will be set by the ride veterinarian, and announced at the Ride Meeting.

?? 3.? Ride management will designate Novice Riders by issuing different-colored ride cards, or by a different numbering system, or other such means as determined by the Ride Manager.

?? 4. ?Attendance at the ride meeting is mandatory for novice riders. ?If there is a special "new rider" meeting given by Ride Management, that meeting is also mandatory. ?Failure to attend shall result in disqualification. ?Exceptions can be made by ride management on a case-by-case basis for extenuating circumstances.

?? 5. ?Novice Rider status shall be recorded on the Ride Card.

?? 6. ?Novice Riders are eligible only for completion awards, except as noted below. ?

?? 7. ?Novice Riders are eligible for a Novice Division High Vet Score award.