[RC] New Rules and Cautions - Sherri Lyngar

I know that everyone is weighing in on this, but just a couple of quick thoughts.

1. We don't want to make it more difficult than it already is for people to enter. The idea here is just to make things a little safer. Endurance is an international sport and so you start getting into semantics on which rides where meet criteria and which ones don't.

2. I think a special newbie meeting the night before the ride would be both appreciated and constructive. As a newbie myself I love to hear the input from the pro's as well as network with other riders. A special meeting also gives a chance to ask for mentor volunteers from the people that are already participating in the ride. They could mentor newer riders or riders that are not from that area with any obstacles, help with pacing, etc...

3. Special instruction at the vet check would be appreciated, but different rules would be unfair. If you set up different rules you are also setting up lying or restriction on the rider to freely ask questions without getting penalized, fear creates bad situations, just human nature. The rides I have been to, the vets were happy to answer questions and give constructive feedback. The vet check should not been seen as punitive, but a learning experience every time.

4. I believe the responsibilty of the horse lies with the rider, but the responsibilty of oversight is with the ride managers and the vets. This may require more people volunteering at rides to help the new people along and have a higher level of control without punishing those who choose to ride. Honestly I think if you have a few experienced riders that are willing to report what they see on the trail you are likely to catch most of the errors that are occuring and you will have a more accurate picture of what is happening. As a new rider I would much rather have someone that is marked as a mentor ride up next to me and let me know that my pacing is off or I need a little more time at a water stop then to miss something on the trail in my enthusiasm and get pulled at the vet check.

5. Last but not least, I have been lurking a great deal on this website and have visited many rides, kind of quiet and in the background. In general I have been greeted with warmth and knowledge. I find it disturbing that some behaviors are being ignored or overlooked. I don't care how good you are or how good your horse is, there is no reason for disrespect for fellow riders on the trail, with the ride manager or with the vets. Let's face it, any one of us, no matter how experienced, could get in trouble on the trail and we all need to be vigilant, safety should always come before pride. Strict enforcement of behavior codes should be applied and they should be asked to leave the ride. If poor behavior persists then they should not be allowed to participate in rides.

6. And as far as to LD or not LD goes... the pros far outweigh the cons. If the major concern is over riding a horse or inexperience on the trail, wouldn't you rather have that person signed up for an LD which has more controls just because the very nature of the ride is shorter and they will not be riding far before they see a vet or a ride manager who can pull if there is a problem. LD is a good way for people to test the waters as a rider and to test the waters with their horse.

Thanks
Sherri