Re: [RC] Be part of the solution - Beth Walker

OK - here is an idea. Let me know if you think it would be at all practical to implement.

One thing that I have trouble with is pacing. I know the pace I *want* to ride, but during a ride I don't always know how close to that pace I am. Some people may not know the pace they *should* ride.

Basic Mechanism:
RMs have to have the trail marked, no matter what. How about having some kind of special marking (RMs choice - announce at the ride), every 5 or 10 miles of the course? At the ride meeting (or in the rider packet), have a table that shows the ride time you should have at each marker. AERC should be able to put such a table online for RMs to download and copy. Each rider could then circle the times that apply to them, and have a better way of keeping track of their pace.

New Riders, New Horses, Riders under probation, etc.: These riders are **given** a pace that they cannot exceed (say 5-6 mph), or be disqualified (even at vet check 1). To make it easier on ride managers, the ride entry could have a field where the rider indicates how many years / miles of experience they have, and how much their horse has. RMs would then be able to assign special ride numbers, or some other mechanism, to keep track of these riders. For everyone else, the system is optional.

Obviously, this would require AERC rule changes, but it would be a way to give some additional structure to newbies, without impacting experienced riders who are riding within their horses limits.