Re: [RC] THE DIFFERENCE WITH MARIPOSA! - Beth Walker

Absolutely right. ? You have the right to self defense. ?You have the right to intervene to **prevent** or **stop** harm to a person (or animal), but even in that case, you cannot use more force than is required to stop the abuse or harm. ?You do NOT have the right to assault someone after the fact. ? ?

I understand the emotions involved. ?That is why I *don't* agree with the decision to not file a protest against the rider, because he is not an AERC member. ?Regardless of the (probably minimal) effect on the rider, I think such a protest and sanctions against that rider would have helped the AERC membership, and sent a much clearer message that this kind of conduct will not be tolerated.

On Nov 7, 2007, at 7:41 AM, Rae wrote:

IT DOESN’T MATTER!? Whatever the cause, Patrick should NOT have reacted the way he did.? You want to go after the guy that hurt his horse – call Animal Control.? Call the police.? You do NOT commit assault and battery yourself.
?
Rae?
Tall C Arabians - Central Region?
FHOTD:??
the slaughter buyer is merely the garbageman. He is not the one who put the horse out with the trash.
?
From:?ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]?On Behalf Of?janet palma
Sent:?Wednesday, November 07, 2007 9:32 AM
To:?ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:?[RC] THE DIFFERENCE WITH MARIPOSA!
?
People,
This guy was HITTING his horse with a STICK!!!!? The poor horse ran out of gas after giving his all and the man hit and spurred him!? Is that an "it could happen to anyone" situation?!? NO, I think not.
The horse would have DIED if not for the skills of the vets.? It was pretty outrageous.??

I don't seriously think the guy should have been beaten up, but I can't help think Patrick should not be the one being censured and rebuked.?

Peek-a-boo FREE Tricks & Treats for You!?Get 'em!