Re: [RC] Extremely disappointed (was: Mariposa Protest, etc.) - Beth Walker

On Nov 6, 2007, at 8:49 PM, k s swigart wrote:

I must confess that when I read the protest in this month's EN, I was
extremely disappointed by the light "slap on the wrist" that Patrick
McDonald got for his self-acknowledged blatant abuse and unsportsmanlike
conduct towards another rider and non-rider, and if _I_ had been on the
protest committee he'd have gotten disqualified from the ride (assuming
he finished it) and a suspension along with his "censure."

I think a DQ from the ride would have been appropriate, and maybe a fine. I don't think a suspension would be warranted, however.

I am even more disappointed by the above statements by Ridecampers (but
now better understand the light punishment meted out by the P&G
committee).

It would appear that I am the only one who had drilled into me in my
childhood that bad behaviour on somebody else's part does not excuse bad
behaviour on my own part.

I agree with you here, Kat. While it may be emotionally satisfying to lose your temper in such a situation, it is not the kind of behavior that should be accepted. Understood, perhaps, but not accepted or praiseworthy.

On the other hand - I can admit to a high level of frustration as to what was imposed, or possibly, what the board was allowed to impose under AERC rules. For example - no protest was filed against the rider because he was not an AERC member.

I don't agree with this, as this means that no action was or will be taken against this rider - including barring him from entering future rides for a period of time, or requiring that he ride with a mentor when and if he is allowed to enter another ride. Maybe he won't ever enter another ride (after the fight - I probably wouldn't). That shouldn't stop the AERC from taking positive action to show their **membership** that they are taking steps to try and avoid a repetition of this event. Putting him on a list of riders not allowed to enter rides would be one. Making him ride with a mentor would be another. Talking to his friends - who ARE members - and determining whether they have any responsibility in the matter (why didn't one of his friends ride with him?) would be another.