Re: [RC] Abuse - rjkopp

From: Bruce Weary DC <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
 As a DAL, I am curious to hear what suggestions our members have
regarding new measures that can help educate and prevent inadvertant
abuse.   Bruce Weary

Well, since you asked....

One thought that comes to mind would be to only allow " day-members" to ride
for completion only, regardless of distance entered.  This allows those new to
our sport and just trying it out to experience the ride atmosphere but takes
away the competitive aspect.  Now I know some people who have experience will
say they don't join AERC because they only do a few rides a year and it is not
cost effective.  And you are penalizing them for a few ' yahoo's'.  But, I
would rather see AERC err on the side of horse protection.

As far as not penalizing abusive riders because they are not AERC members, well
I'm not sure I agree.  If a protest were to be filed against an abusive rider,
even if said rider was not a member, wouldn't the AERC be able to still publish
facts and names and impose say a year ban on said rider?  At least it would
have the effect of putting the information out and alerting ride managers.
Does AERC keep a list of sanctioned riders as a database that ride managers can
access?  I'm sure the list would be short but a central 'blacklist' can help
track riders.

Going forward - has AERC contacted the rider in question?  While not a member,
he did attend an AERC santioned ride and have a horse treated.  Isn't this
something the Welfare of the Horse Committee follows up on anyway?  I think
this would be an opportunity to 1) get more information on the health of that
horse post ride and 2) educate said rider regarding conditioning, pacing, etc.

Doing nothing just hurts the horse.  Attempting to communicate and educate at
least has a chance of changing future behavior.

Just my thoughts,
Roxanne Kopp/Kentucky