Re: [RC] Feeding before a ride - Beth Walker

This thread got me doing a Google search on the net, since I was interested in the glycemic index of the stuff I feed. He gets bermuda hay - more than he can eat, and I don't feed any grain at all -- His "concentrates" are a mash of beet pulp, alfalfa pellets and rice bran. ?

I found this on the net - no idea whether the info is "good" or not, as I'm not qualified to judge the approach outlined. ?Still - I thought it was interesting. ?If nothing else, it gave me a relative standing of most of what I feed as "concentrates". ?I'm sure some of this is subject to variation -- I know that the beet pulp I get varies quite a bit in the amount of molasses that is in there. ?Sometimes the shreds have a gray color, and very little molasses, sometimes a brown color, and (I think) much more molasses. ?Same manufacturer, just a different batch. ?Pelleted beet pulp doesn't seem to have any added molasses, but I find it to be a royal pain to feed. ?

http://ari.calstate.edu/research/ pdf/00-2-034/FinalReport-00-2-034.pdf

Title is : ?Research Report: ?Glycemic Index of Practical Horse Feeds. ?The summary lists the glycemic index of 16 feeds:

Corn - 117
Oats & Molasses: ?105
Barley: 101
Oats: ?100