RE: [RC] Feeding before a ride - chapter 1 - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

Yes.  As Heidi comments, fullness of the stomach isn't the issue limiting
performance during the day---horses are evolved to have forage in their
entire system 24/7 and it's not a disadvantage to start the day with a full
stomach.  Bruce, if you think Sugar eats better at the first vet check if
she starts out a little emptier, that's fine---but if she'd already eaten
breakfast back at camp, then by the time you got to VC 1, breakfast would
already be moving downstream and well on its way to doing its job, which is
also a good thing, maybe better.  Splitting hairs here.

Lots of forage although does play a big part in release of hormones that
stimulate gut motility and keep the mail moving, so to speak.  Feeding
forage (and I mean keeping them knee deep in the stuff) keeps the entire GI
tract full of bulk, and also an extra and readily available reserve of
electrolytes and water to utilize during the day.  Plus--- ongoing
production of the volatile fatty acids that provide the majority of the
energy needs for most horses at most speeds (ie, something less than
cantering all day long).  Can't beat that with a stick.

The primary reason to NOT feed a high glycemic meal closer than four hours
before the start of exercise is because of the temporary effects on glucose
curves, insulin production and fatty acid metabolism.  Any starchy or
high-sugar meal is going to:
1) cause a transient glucose spike and result in a pretty rowdy horse right
at the start when most people don't need any MORE energy going straight up;
in my still inexperienced mare, and she's not unique, I've noticed if she's
being silly, she doesn't drink well until later on in the ride---too busy
shouting down the trail at disappearing friends and getting her panties in a
wad.  If I strictly manage her concentrate intake beforehand, then she
settles to business faster and drinks earlier, which is important.
2) Glucose spikes trigger an insulin spike, which among other things,
inhibits the use of onboard fat stores as an energy source for exercise.
For virtually any endurance horse, this is the energy source you WANT to get
up to cruising altitude as early on in the day as you can, because it's the
most abundant onboard energy source, and it's the energy source the horse
relies on the heaviest during aerobic, submaximal exercise.  Why on earth
would you want to do anything to interfere with this pathway?  Yet that's
exactly what's happening by feeding a grainy mash less than 4-6 hours before
the start.

I understand that getting up at 3 a.m. to feed some sort of mash that has a
1/2 cup of grain in it isn't going to cause metabolic catastrophes during
the ride that day.  But you're also not providing any clear benefit, so
what's the point?  I also agree with Jonni that most riders that get up at 3
are doing it to make themselves feel good about being responsible and
conscientious, not because the horse really benefits from it.  If the horse
is left with his mash the evening before, plus an enormous amount of hay to
munch on, then you've provided him with everything he physiologically needs
for the next day, there's no advantage to getting up to feed him more at 3
a.m.

There's one or two more things to mention, but this is getting long and will
probably get bounced, so I'll put the rest into Chapter Two (sorry, you know
I get on a roll with this stuff).

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM