Re: [RC] [RC] Big Bellies - Hay Bellies? - Dawn Carrie

My 7 yr old Sundance has the pregnant look.  It's partly due to having really wide-sprung ribs, but behind the ribs...well, I'm sure there are twins in there!  LOL  He's not fat, though...at least not anymore.  He's 14.2h and very short-backed...I've always wondered if that plays a role...you know, same amount of "innards" as any horse, but a shorter length of barrel to pack them into, so his belly bulges.  And, he's a hoover on hooves, always eating, so I'm sure those innards are full of grass and hay.  A couple years ago he was confined for a week or so with a bad case of scratches...we asked our neighbor to feed him while we were out of town for a couple of days.  Bill was going to get home late one night, and not knowing just how much a horse would eat during the day, and not wanting his wife (who was undergoing chemo) to have to come over and feed, he gave Sundance an entire bale of hay at 6am (our bales that year were around 50-55lbs).  His wife came over anyway around 6:30 pm, and saw that Sundance had not a whisp of hay, so she gave him several flakes.  The little sucker had sucked down that entire bale in about 12 hours.

Dawn Carrie, Texas
and Sundance (food is my life)