RE: [RC] Feeding before a ride/load limits - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

She's thoroughly enjoying making fun of my new
wonderhorse who is perfect in EVERY way other than the fact that his
belly is monumental. She informed me after doing a loop at Skymont that I
can never bring 7 there since there are several trees he will not fit
between.

Yes, absolutely.  You are a cruel and unfeeling owner to even consider
taking him to rides where he will bang his belly on trees.  Therefore, send
him out to me immediately so I can ride him in desert rides.  No, no.  No
thanks are necessary.

I countered that with *his* food/water carrying capacity he
should be able to go 50 miles without a drink or bite of food, and with
his ability to scarf down any food in his vicinity in record time he will
get as much good out of a 20 minute hold as others do from a 1 hr. hold.

Have you ever seen photos (I know you have) of a lot of the really good,
high-mileage-go-forever horses?  They look like fat, tough little mountain
ponies half the time, not waspy-waisted greyhounds.  Deep through the
'waist' means more capacity and capacity means a bigger fuel tank.
Somewhere around here I have some references about GI capacity having some
pretty wide individual variations and not always related to body size.  It
should be one of those things people LOOK for in a prospect and fall on the
ground in tearful gratitude when they get it.  Jody is just jealous and
wants to steal him away from you, another reason why you should send him out
to me.  You know, to keep him safe.

I'm curious as to whether a large capacity on a small horse actually is a
matter of bringing more along...or is there air in there or something?

Assuming he's not flinging himself to the ground and rolling in pain, that's
all fuel in there---hay being processed, water, electrolytes, all the good
stuff.  Thank your lucky stars and consider taking out the center divider in
your trailer so he doesn't get stuck.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM