RE: [RC] Feeding before a ride - Chapter Two - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

Okay, Chapter 2.

I wanted to point out that there some *disadvantages* to getting up in the
middle of the night to feed the horse an additional meal, even though they
don't directly affect glucose, endocrine and all those fancy-shmancy things.

1) You're disturbing your own rest, and you're probably be in better shape
the next day as a rider helping your horse if you slept straight through.
If you feel you didn't expend adequate horsemanship brownie points by
getting up to feed in the middle of the night, then feel free to get off the
horse the next day and use the extra energy jogging up all the hills.

2) Your horse's rest was interrupted by your getting up, whether you turn on
lights, generator, heat up water or not.  He has enough to do the next day,
let him alone to munch his hay and doze without more distractions.  If he's
banging buckets at 3 a.m., you didn't feed him enough hay or mash the night
before.  If he ate a vat full and is still banging his bucket, then
congratulations on owning a good eater.  Feed him from a soft rubber tub and
park far enough away from your neighbors that he doesn't wake them up too,
until he figures out that room service no longer shows up at 3 a.m.

3) If your crew is trying to sleep next to you, as mine does, then he will
be a much happier camper and crew slave if he isn't awakened up until
absolutely necessary.

4) Your neighbors will be much happier if you do not wake THEM up in the
middle of the night.  Base camp will remain a happier place, and happy
neighbors are a lot more likely to lend a hand when a real crisis does
inevitably occur, like getting tires stuck in sand, losing your keys or
realizing you didn't bring enough rum.

All of this applies as much, or more, if you're doing a multiday.  Give him
his mash the evening before, and bury him in hay.  (You might be able to
make an argument towards coming out to walk a horse after a significant ride
to keep his muscles loose, but that's a different discussion.)

Bottom line, there is NO physiologic reason to get up to feed in the middle
of the night, and clear disadvantages to doing so.  If your horse needs his
fuel tanks topped off before the ride, it's better done the evening before,
period.  Plus forage should be for days before (if not always).  About the
ONLY thing that I personally want to give my horse right before she starts
is a diluted dose of salt.  I don't think I'm significantly supplementing
her onboard elytes by doing so, but if I bump up her plasma sodium levels at
the beginning of the ride, then the thirst mechanism is also bumped a little
and she starts drinking very early on.  Heidi doesn't agree with dosing
elytes and that's fine.  My mare is coming along well learning to take good
care of herself, and eating/drinking well a couple miles into the ride, so
I'll probably back off on that until we're further down the road and I have
her individual needs figured out a little better.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM