RE: [RC] Bump on Pastern, buy the horse or not? - Karen Standefer

Some ringbone is caused simply by the calcification of the periosteum (sp) which could easily be genetic.  And other ringbone is also caused by poor leg/hoof conformation which could definitely be passed on.  I’d be hesitant to breed a mare with ringbone unless I knew for sure it was due to a specific injury.

Karen

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rae Callaway
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 6:29 AM
To: D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Bump on Pastern, buy the horse or not?

   It would be pretty difficult to breed on a blemish or wound.  I certainly wouldn't fault the mare for having a bump on the pastern - it's not like she can pass that on, anymore than General could pass on that hole in his head (assuming he was a stud, anyway)

Rae

Tall C Arabians  - Central

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.