[RC] Cold weather ridecamps - diane vieira

Well, someone beat me to the punch about those really really cold "three dog nights"!  I use 2 Labradors and a Jack Russell!!  I am one of the few that regularly tent camps.  I've shared a motorhome, but I've been colder in them than in a tent.  My really cold weather tent is very low profile and just big enough to sit up at the "head end".  The foot end is tapered (like a coffin!) but it's super warm in no time and that baby will withstand any wind and rain, to boot.  It's a backpacking tent and has gone up to 12,000 feet with me.  My latest home away from home is a truck tent that custom fits in my truck bed.  It's great and I use a propane catalytic heater for about 20 min. before I get in at night and 20 min. before getting dressed in the morning and it's just perfect.  Try Ridgecrest, CA in January when you have to boil water to pour into the horses' buckets just to break the ice, it was 24 degrees one year!  I was the only tenter I saw and I slept like a baby.  Just me and the Labs and the Jack Russell!!

Wishing there was a ride around here soon, damn fires!!
Diane Vieira
Agua Dulce, CA