RE: [RC] [RC] animals and smoke inhalation - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

>What would you recommend after a day long sandstorm, Susan? I realise that there still aren't that many places in the US that have to deal with >them...yet...but the way things are going, who knows?  We get days when no one  would work the horses because of the sand/dust, but we are still >breathing it. There are no local protocols.

Sand and dust are going to be primarily just an irritant without the toxic components that smoke has, so it doesn’t require the same layoff period.  How long would depend on whether the horse was inside during the storm or outside without shelter, the age of the horse (older horses don’t produce the same amount of mucus that the respiratory cilia will use to move debris out), pre-existing respiratory disease, etc.  For the most part, a few days would probably suffice, barring any symptoms of distress.

JMO.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM