[RC] Green with Jungle Vegetation - Steph Teeter

I think that for me, and perhaps for others, it's not so much about wanting to live someplace else - or wanting to be someplace else, as it is about the fascination with different cultures, different geographies.

I really do love Malaysia though - its probably one of the best/ safest places in southeast asia and Oceana for westerners to experience the tropics - economically and politically it is safe and stable, the risk of disease is less, medical facilities are good, transportation is good and easier for us because thanks to the years of British colonial rule English is an official language - in the villages you'll find people who don't understand much english, if any - but people in businesses and government agencies are quite fluent. And they still LIKE Americans and westerners. The Malaysian economy is very much tied to technology and International trade, the level of education is one of the highest in this part of the world - many universities, many doctors, engineers, scientists. Malaysia is a mix of people and cultures - Indian, Chinese are substantial minorities and are almost equally represented in the population. The government and high positions are still held primarily by people of Malay descent, but there is a high level of cultural and religious tolerance because of the mix. I don't think that people realize how developed and modern this country is. Here are links to a few maps with

Human Development Index - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Image:HDImap_spectrum2006.png

and Economic index (GDP) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Image:GDP_PPP_per_capita_world_map_IMF_figures_year_2006%282%29.png

Another map I really like is the Map of World Happiness (developed by UNESCO) -
http://www.asmmag.com/ASM/content/2006/ASM_035/ world_map_of_happiness.jpg

I still check the weather report in Oreana, and really don't want to live anyplace else, and would probably be gushing about the Amazon rain forest of Ecuador or castle ruins in Romania or Lurray Caverns in Virginia or fishing villages in Nova Scotia - or wherever I might happen to be. But, Malaysia is very special.

Steph

(and I would never ever be here if it weren't for the horses in our lives - which makes it even more special)