Re: [RC] Barb wire fence question - Sisu West Ranch

"...Add a hot wire?  A separate fence several feet away?  Something else?..."

Our place came equipted with a barb wire fence.  Mostly old and already partly pushed down.

We have been adding a single strand of horseguard tape (www.horseguard.com), on their standoff insulators.  This effectively puts a visible, attractive, tape 1 foot inside of the barb wire.  Seems to work for us.  Last year one of the mares got cut when tangeling with a high tensile wire while backing up to the neighbor's stallion pen.  I have added two strands of tape on standoffs at the pens.  Should keep the hussey's away from that fence.

Please note horseguard is more expensive, but much better than the wide tapes sold in the local feed and farm stores.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875