[RC] re: breeds in endurance and any thoughts on pacers - aarenex

My first horse--endurance and otherwise--was an OTT Standardbred pacer.  She was a ho-hum performer on the track, and pretty much a solid "finisher" in endurance.  Very smooth trot, sure-footed, and probably could have gone a lot faster on the trail (and safely, too) than I was willing to go as a beginning endurance rider!  She would walk, trot, AND pace when I got her; with lots of hill work and dressage she learned to canter very nicely.  She would carry anybody safely and give them a happy but non-exciting ride.

Story also had some interesting "alternate" gaits:  the cantelope (comfortable, but weird-looking), the trollop (weird-looking and NOT comfortable) as well as gaits that the Gaited People would recognize, including a lovely running walk.

After Story retired, I took a long detour into CMK Arab land.  THAT was exciting.

Now I'm back with a young Standardbred mare--this one never made it to the track, so she has no track injuries or weird training to overcome. She does have a really young brain, so her endurance legging up is delayed until she grows up.  Meantime, we do trails!  She walks, trots, canters, paces AND she gaits.

And she is NOT exciting.

The older I get, the less excitement I want.  The ground ain't getting any softer, ya know.

If you're interested in STBs, try exploring the website at www.greenerpastures.ca    Located in Langley British Columbia, they can easily arrange transport to the U.S.   Prices are low, and the horses are sound and sane.   I don't work for Greener Pastures, but I'm a huge fan.

Anyone wanting to know more about these lovely and sensible horses may contact me privately at aarenex  -at- comcast -dot- net

--Aarene
--
Distance tests the endurance of a horse; time reveals the character of a person. --Chinese proverb
aarenex@xxxxxxxxxxx