[RC] Just a good October ride - Hilyard

October is my favorite month for riding - no bugs, cool but not cold, horses that don't have the spring sillies, and pretty trees to look at.  Okay, my horse is still silly, but today I actually got to ride!  My morab mare took me 6 miles - our farthest yet, and other than some scary cows and a horse eating pheasant, we did well.  She crossed two bridges she never had before, got passed by six cars and a truck with a trailer, and got stampeded by some ridiculously valuable Tennesee Walkers (that was a tense moment - they were charging up and down the fence, but she held it together!).  I am very proud of her for being able to load in a trailer quietly, unload quietly, do all that scary stuff, load back in the trailer and make it home.  AND, she has to do all this with no "experienced quiet trail horse", since I don't know of anyone local who has one.  Well, Jeannie has experienced quiet trail horses, but Jeannie is an experienced non-quiet trail ride, and I think right now I'd cramp her style.   However, we did manage to go 4 miles without trotting in 55 minutes, which means she has the fastest walk of any horse I've ever owned.  Anyway, the sky was blue, the trees were yellow and red, and I was looking at a dirt road between my horses pricked forward ears.  Is that not great or what!