Re: [RC] breeds in endurance and any thoughts on pacers? - Jon . Linderman

If I had my druthers I'd be riding my 1st endurance horse, an NSH, or my big OT arab, but with one given to my wife, and the other doing some retraining of his hind end, I sort of fell into riding one of my stdbreds this year.  He raced for nearly 9 years with over 200 starts and 23 wins, and he ground out a check nearly every start.  He's little, maybe 15 hands, plain bay (suprise), horrid front feet, and grumpy.  Hes a pacer, but prefers to trot.  In fact by my math hes probably trotted nearly 5,000 miles pulling a cart.  Hes a pain to get to trot out for CTR, but passable for endurance.  Seems to like camping.  And hes just got this ho hum work ethic, just like on the track.  Tack up ride.  Stop, eat, tack up ride.  I must say hes not the most spectacular ride.  I'd prefer to be riding Sam, the OT Arab, but I think Pee wee makes a nice little story.  He did 2 CTRs up in MI a couple weekends ago for a toal of 60 miles and he pulsed well, ate well, camped well, even thyough it was unseasonably warm.  Now does this represent all stdbreds, no not necessarily, but we'll just keep riding him and see, sort of like a spare car in the driveway.   For endurance I think hes got a nice build: dare I say arabesque with lighter bone, smaller body, 28 RHR, and a smooth trot.   But my God some of the horses he raced against were as big as drafts, some tall and lanky, some thick and squatty, really a mixed bag of sizes for the breed.  Will I get another...eh dunno, I do prefer arabs.  We just got to the point where we didn't want to race stdbreds anymore, couldn't sell this guy after all he'd given us & he seemed bored not working.  His last race was in March this year, his last win in December of 2006.  I hope to do his first 50 December of this year.  I mean I wouldn't go out and get a horse that'd raced as much as he has and think about putting him on the trail to compete.  Then again he survived it all and I don't have to take years to bring him along.

Having raced stdbreds I do thinnk they are nice animals, and one can pick them up for a song.  I'd given anything for one of Earls arab-stdbred crosses though, now that I thinkn is the "perfect" horse for me.

Jon

"Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

10/23/2007 11:33 AM

"Nancy  Sturm" <sturmranch@xxxxxxxx>, <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [RC]   breeds in endurance and any thoughts on pacers?

Roger Yohe in CA rode an Arab X Stbd. called Danfastic.  I think also, they
won the Pard'ners award.

Barbara