[RC] which breed is best? - carolyn

The one thing I have learned about this sport is that you need to define "best".  Everyone has a different definition.  There are those that want the best breed to win with.  But others need the best breed for their 12 year old daughter to start competing on.  That is not the same horse that the person who wants to win on.  Sometimes "best" needs to include "that I can afford".  Other times "best" needs to be for someone with a bad back or bad knees.  These are all different horses.

My favorite breed is the Standardbred.  I rode my 7 y.o. mare in a 25 mile LD last weekend.  She did great, had great recoveries.  She canters very well (one of the reasons she is not racing) and is sure footed and well balanced by nature.  My husband is riding an Appaloosa.  Not your typical endurance Appaloosa but a typical stocky ranch Appy. This horse loves the sport and my husband loves riding him.

Your going to get lots of email on what breed is best, but all you will get is that persons opinion of what is best for them.  Listen to what they have to say, don't take it as gospel, just use it to form the decision on what is the best breed for you.

Carolyn Burgess