[RC] Bey Shaw temperment - I had one! - Christy H

Wow- hearing this thread is so interesting! I had a bey shaw bred Anglo mare. I blamed her temperament on the TB side of her (Dam's name was Devil's Desire- go figure).

She was strong willed, extremely dominate, impulsive, opinionated, really fast, and would do just about anything to get her way- which made her dangerous. She would charge at me on the longe line. After a year of Parelli, that all changed, except my memories of her. AFter what we had been through, I had problems trusting her (my problems), although she turned into a fabulous, athletic, gorgeous horse! she really is stunning. And her movement is awesome. Big bodied 15.3, wicked smart. She was trustworthy when I sold her, but by that time I knew in my heart she was not the horse for me.  I also had other horses.

As I look back, it was MY poor leadership that brought out her behavior. I bored her to tears and my communications skills frustrated the crap out of her. That has changed remarkably as I have advanced with Parelli. She was acting out. I was not worthy of being her leader. So when people say they "do well with the right owner" I would have to agree!!!

She mentally matured late. I sold her a year ago at age 6 to an advanced level Parelli student who is now assessing to pass Level 3! That's outstanding for ANY horse and human. Her new owner is PERFECT for her. And that they are able to get into Level 3 so fast says a lot of work ethic, temperament, brains &athleticism. Level 3 is riding bridless, lots of tasks at liberty (no halter), fly lead changes, etc. Pretty amazing stuff. It says a lot about the horse and the fantastic partnership she has developed with her human.

Zarah was part of my journey- what a ride she gave me!  I did the right thing by finding her a more appropriate human!

Christy Hawes
Greeley, CO
circle.of.mares@xxxxxxxxx