RE: [RC] Duck Rides - Natalie Herman

<<<All I really require is a reasonably well marked trail, and water for the horses along the way. Basically, if I know what to expect, I can generally manage........ As I've stated here before, I strongly prefer a treatment vet be present - I rarely need one, but the rides where no one has needed one have been the exception.>>>

Well, I am a Duck-ling as I liked to call it (meaning I am addicted to Duck rides and wish there were more, especially closer to the N.Ca, but it is on my list to try and do every one some day). I am not sure what you emailed to Karen, as the Duck rides are usually pretty welcoming. BUT, in reply to the above comments.... the big thing I see is the "know what to expect"....the big thing with Duck rides is to expect everything and nothing, LOL.. You might have lots of water on trail, or maybe none for miles and miles. It all depends and you just have to ride accordingly (basically always expecting there might NOT be water, so take it easy...even though all the rides I did this year, had an adequate supply, despite drought conditions this year in many ride areas.) The trails are almost always marked GREAT, and you always get a map that describes every detail of the trail SO well, that even if there were NO ribbons, you aught to be able to find the way. But things do happen, from cows, to weather, to sabotage. So sometimes markings do go byebye and you have to be able to figure out where you are going from the map/signs of travel on the trail. Basically, if you would be happy relying on yourself and your horse, want to see new places, have very little interference by the RM/vets into what you are doing (though the horses are always well taken care of), then you would like it. If, on the other hand (which you statement about "treatment vet" might have lead them to believe....no horses have needed treatment at any of the Duck rides this year, that I went to, (went to all but DV and GC and VR) that I can remember...and many were very difficult this year. Most pulls were RO or lameness related from difficult or rocky trails) you are the kind of rider that likes to have their hand held (there is usually only ONE VC along the way, no tack off usually,btw, which I love...others hate though) and structured rides (at Duck rides there are no numbers on your horse...management and vets and volunteers REMEMBER you...no "standard" vet card with standard scoring either...you have to know how your horse is doing without the vets giving you scores all day long), then Duck rides are not for you. There are no "treatment vets" per se, but treatment is possible when needed. Often though, rides are SOOOO far from any big city vet areas, that if you really get into trouble, you are IN trouble and you have several hundred miles to drive to a treatment clinic. So again, best to ride more carefully and under your horse's ability (unless you REALLY know your horse and his ability and your own), than to push it and get into trouble. Often, you are also on trails where NO ONE can get to you for 15-20 miles...single track canyon trails...if you get into trouble, no trailer will be able to get to you and your horse. You have to be able to walk out of there yourself.
  I LOVE them though, and am spoiled by them. Now, when I go to standard rides (which I like too, btw, just not as much as Duck rides, LOL), I always have to remember to give my horse number to spotters (what's a spotter?? Oh yeah..hand holders...:P LOL), don't mess up my vet card (oh yeah, don't FORGET my Card in the morning :P), stop at WAY too many vet points along the way (I could ride slower, and easier on my horse, if I wasn't wasting all my time in the darn holds..). It is sooo weird. At Duck rides, I really feel like I am just on some giant, fun (well, ok, some days, like when it snow storms, it isn't so fun, LOL...but it makes for great stories afterwards!) trail ride in the middle of nowhere, with a bunch of other crazy riders. And I love the "family" atmosphere...Annie and Dave and their crew take SUCH great care of you and you really feel like you are part of their family (I still marvel at how they can remember all those names and your horse(s)....it takes me months to figure out what ride I met what person at and their name, when I see them at other rides...those guys have great memories!). To top it off, the  rides are usually in some of the most stunning places in the western (or all, for that matter) US and I still can't get over the fact that we actually get to ride in these places :) Oh, and one last thing, the duck has an odd sense of humor and it often turns people off. I think he is hilarious though, LOL...so don't let him "get" to you..sometimes you can't even tell if he is serious or joking and he can be a bit of a big, gruff, grizzly bear at times (he HATES "whiners"...so NEVER whine to him, LOL). But bears are also cuddly too (oooohhh, don't let him read this, LOL), in my opinion :)
   Natalie (who will prob try DV this year, if the COLD and WIND doesn't chase her away (ok, ok....I am NOT whining....nope...I just hate cold...brrr:P)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming.... 'Wow! What a ride!' "

Climb to the top of the charts!? Play Star Shuffle:? the word scramble challenge with star power. Play Now!