Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.5368 - Chipnml

Kim, you've described my guy, Cheers, whom I competed for 13 years.  Although I never did 100's with him, we would often do two 50's in a weekend.  There is not a word in any language to describe the way he lugged: my arms would be shaking with exhaustion after the first loop.  He, too, broke a few martingales.  I would often be in tears on the first loop because the thought of dealing with him for 50 miles was so overwhelming.  Any time someone passed us, or he could see someone ahead of him he would surge ahead.  On the other hand, I NEVER had to worry about him eating or drinking.  If he didn't, I knew he didn't need to.  When he wanted to drink he would come to a screaming halt (usually with me doing the screaming) at whatever water source was handy, and almost pull me off putting his head down to drink.  When we got near camp, he would settle down to a nice big walk, his ears forward and the sweetest _expression_ on his face....no one ever believed me when I'd tell them what a s**t he was, until they happened to ride with me!  In all the years I competed him, he never did learn to pace himself.  However, like you, I grew to love him, and accepted the limitations brought on by his behavior. Even though the horse I compete now is soooo much easier on me, I would give anything to have Cheers back out there!  BTW, he also had a big fat tongue, and I found a french snaffle seemed to lay in his mouth much easier.

Chip